Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Obligatory First Post


Well, I suppose I have to start somewhere. Hello, I'm a blogging novice and my name is Aimee. I decided to join all the cool kids and blog about my experiences as a grad student and single gal pursuing a PhD in literature--perhaps my title makes a bit more sense now? If you're here thinking my blog might be about animal pens and the virtues thereof, I apologize. (It's not.) But if you've stuck around this far, why not keep reading? :)

Some of this might sound familiar to those of you in the late 20-something crowd who are single at a time when your friends are already hitched or are quickly joining the ranks of the just-marrieds. (If you're single and a grad student, too, bonus points!) Some of the former are even starting to have kids now, while those in the latter group might be inching that way themselves in the next few years. Yet a few of us haven't given up the search, immersed as we are in dating land--or lost there, depending on your perspective--while attending what we could politely call our 20+ year of education. Sound familiar? Top it all off with the juggling act that is one's research while teaching at the same time, attending department shindigs and friends' parties, and trying to maintain one's sanity, and you've got a snapshot of my life.

Okay, okay, so it's probably not as dramatic as it sounds, but it is every bit as glamorous. ;) The past three years of friendships, wacky hijinks, and life experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Cliched, I know, but oh so true. Now, some might say they reached this place of self-awareness by 18, but for me my 20s have been a chance to really get to know myself, stretch my thinking, feel comfortable in my skin.

It's certainly been an interesting road to travel, this strange space between undergrad and a "real world" job, between teaching colleague and student. I won't presume to speak for all grad students or all fields or even all 20-something singles, but this blog is my humble offering--a glimpse if you will--into the wonderful chaos of being Penned In.

1 comment:

  1. A big thanks goes to my friend, Erica, whose blogging has inspired me to get off my (non-blogger) duff and write one. Props on her fantastic blog, PROJECT UP, which you should definitely check out. :)

    ReplyDelete